Here's Gibby

My photo
Norfolk, VA, United States
Just a girl from Mississippi who married a Sailor. Most people consider me weird and I consider most weird people normal.

11 June 2008

High School friends


Matt and I took yet another trip this past weekend back home to Mississippi to go to the wedding of one of my high school friends. We were friends in high school and college. This weekend made me thankful that I am not in high school anymore.

Some of our other classmates were there in support of the bride and some in support of the groom whom graduated two years ahead of the bride and me. Some of these people didn’t recognize me and some of them still have not grown up. I always have to try really hard at keeping the conversation going with some of these people. Matt said they were not so bad but seeing how they talk about people and how rude they are reminds me why I was not in that particular click growing up.


I like real people who like to laugh, see the good in every situation and who enjoy seeing and getting together with people they have not seen in a while. The bride and I are a lot alike but some of the friends that she has kept after high school are totally different. Thankfully the bride had her “new” friends at the wedding as well and they were good people like us, people who stay and chat with family after the wedding to just catch up and laugh about the good old times. Times when we were young and doing stupid stuff.

I remember high school being a popularity contest and me not wanting to join in at all. I hated all of the who’s better than who and who has what car and all that hoopla. I was friends with everyone; yes I had my closest friends and I mostly hung out with them but never do I think I made someone feel less than me. I had hoped all of us would grow up but I guess some are still playing the expensive car better than you game.

I should be used to it because now I have to watch as my co-workers play the same game but with bonuses and kiss-assing.



It really wasn’t so bad I am just recalling the parts that annoyed me. It was nice to see all those people again even though some of them haven’t changed. The wedding and reception were beautiful but hot. We had a really good time and an especially great time after everyone left. Some of her close family and friends hung around to clean up and we ended up breaking out some wine and just reminiscing about the bride. The reminiscing was more or less behind her back since she and the groom had already left for the night but I don’t think she would mind.

1 comment:

cathryn said...

It's sad that a lot of people "peak" in high school, and become just sort of stunted from then on; incapable of growing emotionally, mentally or socially. Tragic...